People are very interested in aging well. Appearances, physical health and mental health often get most of the attention. Today I found this article that discusses how to keep your voice sounding spry. Heaven forbid our voice sounds "old". Those who work so hard at keeping fit, healthy and young at heart can't hide their age if the voice sounds old and raspy.
From the article, New Treatments Keep the Aging Voice Spry:
Tips for Preserving Speech for a Lifetime:
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water a day to maintain hydration.
- Support the voice from abdominal muscles when speaking or singing.
- Avoid "vocally abusive" activities such as yelling, screaming, coughing and throat-clearing.
- Warm up the voice before using it.
- Don't talk or sing at unnatural pitches.
- Stay away from over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, which thin the blood and increase the risk of bleeding of the vocal folds.
- Drinks including caffeine and alcohol remove moisture from your system and should each be counteracted with an equal-sized glass of water.
Those days of "vocally abusive" yelling, screaming, coughing and throat-clearing should be long gone for those who want a beautiful voice. So I advise, don't try to talk to your companion at the next concert. If you have to cough, do it lightly. Clear your throat with caution.
See the complete article here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/30/4378164/new-treatments-keep-the-aging.html
Photo credit: http://www.increaseyourvocalrange.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/iStock_000013702862XSmall3.jpg
Have a great day,